Sunday, September 20, 2026

Resident Evil (2026) Review

 

An organ courier must make a late-night delivery on a snowy road to Raccoon City and quickly gets into trouble with zombies and strange morphing creatures.


I would describe the film as a horror comedy; it leans more on the horror side, but Zach Cregger did a great job at threading the humor through the whole film and gave a nice balance of both.


Although screw Zach Cregger, because he put some effective jump scares in the movie, like how dare he make me jump out of my seat lol.


Austin Abrams plays the main character Bryan, a 20-something slacker, and the character is kind of a dumbass, but Abrams' performance, the humor, and the writing still made the character sympathetic and likable, despite Bryan’s continuing goofy shenanigans, lol.


The sets were well detailed and had a lot of ambience, and the cinematography was very stark and gave everything this bright but grimy look, definitely added to the creepy body horror feel of the film.


The plot is following Bryan as he in almost real time tries to deliver medical supplies to Raccoon City Hospital, so the plot is very straightforward, but there are a good amount of twists and turns that the audience will be surprised and entertained by throughout.


There is a good mix of practical and CGI special effects, both of which look pretty good, and the creature design isn't anything too crazy but is cool and well done throughout


The movie has a brisk one-hour and 34-minute run time, and it’s able to keep moving while not feeling rushed and allowing some nice character moments.


We meet a few different scientists from the umbrella corporation (the company responsible for the zombie/creature outbreak), and they too bring a good mix of humor and seriousness to the film, and they all have fun or interesting chemistry with Bryan.


I liked the soundtrack; it had almost a heartbeat sound to it and reminded me of The Thing (1982) soundtrack.


I thought the climax was fun, and I can see different people having different feelings about the ending. It's nothing too surprising, but I definitely thought it was an interesting way to wrap up the story.


Now I have not played much of the games, but I did see the movie with my buddies, and they mentioned there were a few Easter eggs in the background, so if you’re a fan of the games, keep your eyes out.


Resident Evil (2026) is a very enjoyable film; it has scares, laughs, creepy creatures, and some surprising heart. It may not have the story or characters of the game, but it nails the tone and atmosphere. It has a little bit of everything and is a nice soft launch for the spooky season. I give the film four stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. Zach Cregger had some serious… Braaaaaainnnnns 🧟‍♂️🧠 making this 😂 

No comments:

Post a Comment